Scalp massagers are an amazing and affordable hair tool that benefits your overall scalp and hair appearance while promoting stress relief, relaxation and hair growth.
While we can agree that we love getting a relaxing hair massage and deep clean at hair salons, it is not always the most viable option if we crave this feeling regularly. Let's run through a breakdown on why we love scalp massagers as part of your healthy hair regime!
What is a scalp massager?
A scalp massager is a handheld hair tool designed to massage the scalp on wet or dry hair. It features flexible bristles that gently massage the scalp when pressure is applied. Scalp massagers have been designed to increase blood flow to the scalp, promoting hair growth and relieving stress. It is usually a great first-step in your hair routine and can be used on all everyone with all hair types.
What does a scalp massager do and what are the benefits of using one?
There are many amazing benefits and reasons as to why you should start incorporating a scalp massager into your hair routine. These trusty little tools not only help assist with hair growth, it will gently exfoliate your flaky scalp and remove product build up, while promoting relaxation and reducing headaches from the comfort of your own space.
1. Increases blood flow to promote hair growth
Using a scalp massager helps to increase blood circulation to the scalp, which promotes hair growth and hair health. The scalp massager does this by delivering nutrients and oxygen to the hair follicles as you use it.
2. Exfoliates a flaky scalp
Scalp massagers can assist with exfoliating and cleansing the scalp to remove dead skin cells, itchy dandruff, flaky skin and excess product build up. By exfoliating, this will unclog hair follicles to promote healthy hair growth. Just like exfoliating our skin regularly, your scalp needs the same TLC. Regular use of a scalp massager will aid in shinier and flake-free hair.
3. Promotes relaxation
Many people love using a scalp massager relieve tension while promoting relaxation. Gently using the scalp massager in circular motions have shown to release tension and stress, soothing the nerves, making it a perfect way to relax after a long day in the shower or bathtub. Scalp massagers can give you that relaxing massage experience from the comfort of your own home. It is the perfect self-care hair tool to use to pamper and treat yourself.
4. Reducing Headaches
Scalp massagers can assist in reducing migraines and headaches as it relieves tension in the scalp and neck muscles, which are common causes of headaches. Using a scalp massager will help ease the tension and relaxes the nervous system, relieving discomfort.
How to use a scalp massager?
We often get questions on how to use a scalp massager and quite frankly, it is incredibly simple! You can use scalp massagers on dry or wet hair.
For dry hair:
1. Part and gently brush through your hair to ensure there are no tangles.
2. Use the scalp massager and gently apply pressure on your scalp. You can use a circular motion or move the scalp massager back and forth. Orora's scalp massager has soft silicone bristles to guide in a gentler exfoliation.
3. Start moving around your scalp with the massager, focusing on areas of concern. You can move the scalp massager to areas that feel tight or tense to help relieve tension. Make sure to adjust the pressure to ensure your scalp does not feel uncomfortable or rough as that could actually cause headaches.
4. Use the scalp massagers as regularly as you want to but 2-3 times a week is usually recommended.
5. Make sure to thoroughly clean after each use with warm water and soap to keep it hygienic.
For wet hair:
Similar to the above for dry hair, you can use a scalp massager on wet or damp hair on your hair wash days, in the shower or bathtub.
1. Gently part your hair so that a section of your scalp is visible.
2. You can use hair products with the scalp massager such as shampoo, Peach Hair Masks, conditioners or hair oils to promote healthier hair.
3. Apply a generous amount of your product of choice to either your scalp or onto the scalp massager directly before applying it to your scalp.
4. Use the scalp massager and gently apply pressure to your scalp in consistent circular motions or a back or and forth motion.
5. After massaging an area for a few minutes, you can start targeting other areas of concern. You can move the scalp massager to areas that feel tight or tense to relieve tension. Be sure to adjust the pressure accordingly so you are not causing any rough or uncomfortableness while using the scalp massager.
6. Use the scalp massager as regularly as you want to but 2-3 times a week is usually recommended.
7. Make sure to thoroughly clean your scalp massager after each use with warm water and soap to keep it hygienic.
How often should you use a scalp massager?
While there is no right or wrong answer, we would recommend using a scalp massager at least 2-3 times a week for healthier hair and scalp. However no one is stopping you from using this daily if that's what you prefer.
Using a scalp massager is a great way to improve scalp health, assisting hair growth and promote relaxation from the comfort of your own home. You can try one today made from fully recyclable silicone here.